Monday 26 March 2012

Cerebus Archive #7-12

Cerebus Archive #7-12 (April 2010 - February 2011)
Art by Dave Sim
LOGAN DeANGELIS, CEO COMIXPRESS:
(from the ComiXpress blog, 27 October 2009)
It is with great pride that I make this post. As a lifetime fan and reader of indie comics, Dave Sim's Cerebus always had a special place for me. The depth of the story, the wry wit and social commentary, the brilliant art of the book… this was the reason I read comics. As an aspiring cartoonist, I admired Dave’s championing of Creator's Rights and his groundbreaking work in Self-Publishing. This guy's day didn't end when he put down his pencil after knocking out a page; he effortlessly changed hats from creator to businessman, showing a generation of cartoonists how it could be done if you had the brains and the guts, and in many ways made the independent comic book explosion of the 80s possible.

That inspiration is a big part of what drove me to create a company in 2004 that changed the way indie comics were made. And I couldn’t be more excited that Dave Sim has brought his work to ComiXpress. Starting today, with the premier of Cerebus Archive #4, you will always be able to order every back issue of Cerebus Archive, Dave’s black & white walk down memory lane (completely devoid of rose-colored-glasses). No back issues ever go out of stock at ComiXpress, and Comic Shop Retailers are a welcome addition to this new Direct Market with a book from one of the most respected names in comics who has proven time and again how seriously he treats deadlines and release dates.

So please, join me in welcoming Dave Sim, Aardvark-Vanaheim, and of course Cerebus himself to ComiXpress. And lets all look forward to a brighter future for indie comics together.

Back issues of Cerebus Archive are always available from ComiXpress.

4 comments:

j_ay said...

Some pretty nice covers (although I've never liked Dave's colouring), it almost makes me want to catch up where I left off (nummer 5?)...but since Dave has used his Tracing technique on this title, I refuse to give money to that.

A Moment Of Cerebus said...

Hi Jay,
I'm not quite sure what you mean there. Cerebus Archive is mostly reprints of Dave's early comics work with a commentary, which I'm finding increasingly interesting as he nears the creation of Cerebus.

If by 'tracing' you're thinking of Glamourpuss, I really think you're missing out on a truely great comic. The format is highly original and is basically an excuse for Dave to explore and teach himself a photo-realistic drawing style.

'Tracing' is involved, but the end results are often stunning and require a high degree of artistic talent, so I'm not sure 'tracing' is in fact quite the right word for it.

See for yourself in this Youtube video:
http://momentofcerebus.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/making-of-glamourpuss-one-of-them.html

Kind regards,
A Moment of Cerebus

j_ay said...

Tracing is the *only* word for it.

Aside from that, I find the whole 'photorealistic' thing utterly boring and the GP 'drawings' abundantly sterile.
Copying, let alone tracing, a photo is utterly pointless.

I only mean when Dave started to use this tracing on the _covers_ of CA. This "style" should have stayed away from CA.

A Moment Of Cerebus said...

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the 'tracing' issue, although I wish I could 'trace' like that.

I can understand your view of the 'photo-realism' school of comics art. To the modern-eye photo-realism does look old fashioned. However Dave's respect and enthusiasm for the work of Alex Raymond, Stan Drake, Al Williamson etc, is infectious and has made me come to appreciate it alot more.

Even if you don't like the 'traced' images in Glamourpuss, the 'September 6, 1956' sequence (running since #14) is worth the price of admission alone. Comprising of mainly non-'traced' images, it records Alex Raymond's final meeting with fellow-cartoonist Stan Drake and his fatal car crash while at the wheel of Drake's new car. Once complete, this will come to be regarded as a significant work. Trust me on this.

You also might enjoy Glamourpuss #18, where Cerebus appears in a ten-page Mad Men spoof.

Take care,
A Moment Of Cerebus