Sunday 15 May 2016

R.I.P. Darwyn Cooke (1962 - 2016)

Dave and Darwyn at The Last Signing in Halifax 2010
Images courtesy of Stoo Metz and Margaret Liss
From Almost Darwyn Cooke's blog:

We regret to inform you that Darwyn lost his battle with cancer early this morning at 1:30 AM ET. We read all of your messages of support to him throughout the day yesterday. He was filled with your love and surrounded by friends and family at his home in Florida.

Donations can be made to the Canadian Cancer Society and Hero Initiative.

Please continue to respect our privacy as we go through this very difficult time.

A longer statement will come later today.

"Then we shall not be weary. Then we shall prevail." -- John F. Kennedy's New Frontier speech

5 comments:

Travis Pelkie said...

Man, so much talent in those pics.

I met Darwyn Cooke at the Boston Comic Con 5 years ago, and he was a super nice guy. His wife was a really nice person, too. He told great stories, signed my books and mentioned neat tidbits about them, and was just super cool. Such a loss to comics.

Unknown said...

The pictures were taken at the only glamourpuss party ever held: with "business attire" on the invitation. Everyone had a chance to get dressed up for an evening out. I was almost deaf from an ear infection in my right ear, so I hand-lettered a nameplate for each attendee, seating them on my left so I could hear them. It was great: I got to ask each woman where she got her outfit, etc.

It was my official "swan song" -- acquiescing to the, by then, inescapable "pariahdom" of being viewed as a misogynist with the (still! seven years later!) remote possibility that someday there might be 2,000 signatures on the petition.

Marsha Cooke was a HUGE glamourpuss fan and was nice enough to record an "I don't believe Dave Sim is a misogynist" testimonial at the party for CEREBUS TV.

It was sad to think that that was the last time I was ever going to see Darwyn and Marsha, but then that's a universal situation for me: I've pretty much seen everyone for the last time.

JLH said...

Dave,

I remember that Marsha Cooke video clip. I remember it appeared in an episode of SIMtv, but not the corresponding CerebusTV episode, which was odd.

Troy Little said...

It was an honour to have been at this event, the first time I had a chance to meet Darwyn. RIP Mr. Cooke, an incredible talent and inspiration.

CerebusTV said...

I'll have to look and see if that's so - it would be great to put up the episodes with him - but definitely the material was not the same.