Sunday 24 September 2017

Cory Foster's Cerebus Re-Read Challenge

Cerebus
Vol 9: Reads & Vol 10: Minds
by Dave Sim & Gerhard

CORY FOSTER:
(from a review of Cerebus Vol 9: Reads)
Dave contends that this is the most controversial graphic novel of all time, and I have to say that if it’s not #1, it’s gotta be in the top 10. One point of controversy is that the book is split down the middle between the continuation of the events in the comic, and large chunks of straight text, which was a bit much for monthly readers at the time. You might remember the concept of “reads” themselves from Church & State. In that storyline, Weisshaupt was able to “convince” Cerebus to stay married to Sophia after an all-night bender, reassume the title of Prime Minister, and have these schlocky paperbacks ghostwritten for him. Dave takes advantage of the “reads” concept by using it in the comic as a bit of a platform for his opinions on comic publishing and on women and relationships. That second topic is what most people think of with regards to the polarized opinions surrounding this book. I’ll get to that in a bit... [Read the full review here...]

CORY FOSTER:
(from a review of Cerebus Vol 10: Minds)
This volume has a particular resonance for me because I was just old enough to jump on the Cerebus train right toward the end of it. I remember flipping through it on the racks and thinking of how cool Cirin looked. Little did I know at the time (I was still getting through the first few phonebooks) that this section was perhaps the most important part of the entire story, and also the de facto conclusion of it. More on that later... [Read the full review here...]

CORY FOSTER'S
CEREBUS RE-READ CHALLENGE:
Cerebus Vol 11: Guys
Cerebus Vol 12: Rick's Story
Cerebus Vol 13: Going Home
Cerebus Vol 14: Form & Void
Cerebus Vol 15: Latter Days
Cerebus Vol 16: The Last Day


The Cerebus Re-Read Challenge! How far will you get?
Send in your review links to: momentofcerebus [at] gmail [dot] com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job, asusual, Cory

--Jeff

Anonymous said...

Er, "as usual, Cory."

Carson Grubaugh said...

I was just reading an article called "Digital’s Cleaving Power and Its Consequences" which kept making me think of the trick Dave pulled with Reads.

Glad to see your commentaries are back!

Unknown said...

Thanks all, I've got Guys and RS finished as well—I'm hoping to finish before the year is out since I meant to be done in 2016. The reading is no problem, but it's the writing that sets me back!

Carson, I've got that article open now, looks like an interesting read, thanks!

Delwyn Klassen said...

Always enjoy reading others takes. Thanks for all these, Cory.

Minds has always been one of my favourite volumes, because of the creator/creation examinations (begun explicitly in the Reads text) and that the return of situational humour.

Note on 'Juno': I think this refers to the wife of Jupiter, which makes sense in the Cirinist discussion, rather than 'Juneau', capital of Alaska, which is more chilled fjord than frozen wasteland.