Friday 1 June 2012

Deni Loubert


Deni Loubert, interviewed by Margaret Liss and Jeff Tundis, San Diego Comic Con, 27 July 2008.

NOTE FROM THE PUBLISHER:
(from Cerebus #1, December 1977)
You may be wondering what an aardvark is doing in the middle of a sword and sorcery comic book. Well, I'm glad you asked that, because, come to think of it now, I was wondering the same thing. So I trudged down to Dave Sim's studio and asked him that very question. He just shrugged his shoulders and continued inking page fifteen. Not even glancing up!

Next question? Oh - there aren't any other questions? Well, let's see.

First of all I'm Deni ...and I'm the fortunate one who gets to help pay the bills.

Cerebus began as a logo for Aardvark-Vanaheim Press. In case you're curious about A-V Press, the name was suggested by my brother as a joke, which seems to have backfired... The name was supposed to be Cerberus, but I was taking notes at the meeting that day and my spelling stinks on my best days (I had to explain the name somehow, so a misspelt ancient dog became a grouchy barbarian aardvark). It's really quite simple isn't it?

I didn't think so either, but that's the breaks!

The inside front cover of Cerebus #1-70 featured a 'Note From The Publisher' written by Aardvark-Vanaheim publisher, Deni Loubert. Deni and Dave Sim were married from 6 October 1978 to 20 August 1983 and Deni moved to Los Angeles to start her own comics publishing company, Renegade Press, which closed its doors in 1989. She was inducted into the Joe Shuster Hall of Fame in 2010.

No comments: