Sunday, 16 July 2017

Dave Sim: On Prostitution & Chester Brown

Cerebus #275 (February 2002)
Art by Dave Sim, photo by Ken Sim

A (very occasional) word from Dave Sim now that he's working full-time on

You aren't, I don't think, going to win in any discussion with Chester Brown about the morality/immorality of prostitution.

In an... idiosyncratic?... society like our own, you aren't allowed to privilege your preferred form of fornication over any other person's preferred form of fornication. If Chester "gets off" on paying women for sex, that becomes the bottom line. Right next to "consensual". He wants to buy, she wants to sell. It's all good. End of story.

The terminology of fornication has changed to match the idiosyncrasy of subjective-perception-as-reality. In my youth it was called "pre-marital sex". That is, the presupposition was that everyone was going to get married and unusual people had sex before the ceremony. In 2017 that just seems weirdly quaint. Which I experience as moral erosion and most people (at least appear to) experience as progressiveness. All that matters in 2017 from our idiosyncratic society's perspective is what two adults agree upon at the moment. Their agreement, in and of itself, makes whatever it is inherently right.

If you ask me where our society's (reputed) epidemic of free-floating anxiety is coming from, I think that's an obvious place to look. If you don't think you're transgressing and you actually are, that's going to cause you a LOT of psychic stress.

I don't, personally, think that subjective perception determining the nature of reality is the case. In my view, the only valid viewpoint on fornication is God's and -- unless I'm misreading Scripture -- the verdict is "thumb's down" across the board. The notion that simple consent is the bottom line on fornication is, I think, a fabricated human conceit. The "deal" isn't, I think, between you and your girlfriend or you and your wife. The "deal" is between you and God, your girlfriend and God or your wife and God.

That is, I infer, it's a matter of fidelity to God. If you want to have a female counterpart in your life and have sex with her, and you don't want to experience severe consequences, then it has to be on what I infer are God's terms. You need to a) be a virgin when you marry b) commit to a lifelong marriage c) consecrate that marriage in the sight of God (i.e. in a church, a synagogue or a mosque). Otherwise you're transgressing. And that, it seems to me, is the actual bottom line.

[One of the reasons that I haven't participated in the discussion is that I'm way, way, way, way over HERE and all of you are way, way, way over THERE. All I could be is an AMOC troll on the way, way, way over THERE subject.]

When I realized back in 1997 -- after having read the Bible and the Koran for the first time -- that I don't have those qualities, I'm intrinsically, soul-deep NOT a husband...

[which I attribute at least partly to being the child of a child of fornication. My maternal grandfather impregnated my maternal grandmother sometime around March 6 of 1930 and my mother was born December 6, 1930. It takes a lot of chutzpah to call a daughter of fornication "Mary" in what was -- at the time -- a Christian society. My grandmother -- who was a devout Christian, attending church multiple times daily, in her youth -- never lacked for chutzpah. Years later I found out that my grandparents had their "shotgun wedding" on May 17, 1930 which means that I was born on their 26th wedding anniversary. The metaphysics of which -- see the emphasis on Cerebus' 26th birthday in the earliest issues -- seem particularly ominous in retrospect: I enacted their transgression starting around age 26 and didn't stop until I was almost 42; CEREBUS ran for 26 years, etc.]

…I opted for the only thing that seemed sensible to me under the circumstances: repentance (i.e. I stopped fornicating) and atonement (I haven't fornicated since 1998). In May of 2019 I will, God willing, have atoned for my previous 21 years of fornication and adultery.

Which, I'm sure, sounds absolutely crazy to everyone reading this, just as your ideas of what constitutes societal progressiveness sound absolutely crazy to me.

I wish everyone, including Chester, the best of luck with their fornication and adultery rationales/cover stories/realities on Judgement Day.

I'm sticking with my own. And looking forward to May of 2019.

Further Reading:
Dave Sim: "Avoyd Fornication" (January 2014)

15 comments:

Travis Pelkie said...

I'm genuinely curious as to where Dave got the notion that if he gives up on fornication and adultery, he thereby atones for the amount of time that he spent fornicating and committing adultery by not doing those things for the same amount of time. Is there a notion of that in the Koran? Or is it more of his ... fascination ... with numerology (like the 26 years mentioned here)?

I went to a Baptist church for a time as a kid, and from what I grasped, if you accept Jesus as your Lord and savior, and you are genuinely sorry for your sins and give them up, you are forgiven for those sins. I don't know if I believe that's any more or less plausible than Dave's notion.

Tony Dunlop said...

I have no idea how "repentance" is understood in Islam, but the Christian scriptures, especially the synoptic Gospels (which Dave seems to ascribe to "YooWhoo" and not to God), it's clear that one is forgiven as soon as one "turns from his way" towards the way of God. The parable of the Prodigal Son provides the paradigm. Of course repentance is a lifelong endeavor since everyone "misses the mark" every day - although hopefully not in the same way over and over (such as repeated fornication)...

Other than that, Dave's version of sexual morality (virginity followed by lifelong, faithful marriage) doesn't sound crazy to every AMOC reader. It sounded "backwards" or "repressive" to me until sometime in my 30s, when I had my own encounter with God (which was very different from Dave's!).

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

I will confine myself to noting once again that it is very, very important to Dave that he be different from everyone else.

On another point: does anyone know where Dave's firm belief in numerology comes from? The only justification I can recall him giving was "saying a coincidence is a coincidence doesn't explain it to me."

-- Damian

Jeet Heer said...

The Bible also condemns masturbation. Did Dave Sim also renounce masturbation in 1998? If not, he has more atoning to do.

Tony again said...

He has publicly stated so, yes. Nice try, though!

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

Was it 1998 when Dave gave up wanking? (Sexually, I mean.) I seem to recall him saying that he tried to avoid fantasizing while masturbating, and that was after he gave up sex with more than one consenting adult.

-- Damian

Jeff Seiler said...

Technically, Jeet, the Bible doesn't document (or, "document") God condemning Onanism (masturbation). Rather, it documents (or, "documents") God striking down Onan because he failed to obey God's order that Onan should go into their nomad's tent and impregnate one or both of his daughters, in order to continue his lineage with a son. Instead, Onan "spilled his seed" outside of the tent, disobeying God's order and drawing down God's wrath.

One of those weird Old Testament things where Onan refused to commit incest and it earned him God's wrath.

The Catholic Church seized on this passage in order to condemn Onanism (masturbation), by making masturbation itself a sin. The sin in the original act was disobeying God.

Having said that, if Dave continues to "leave [his] dick alone," then I should imagine it will continue to leave him alone.

Travis Pelkie said...

And who knows, Jeff, maybe Onan's problem was more premature ejaculation than masturbation... ;)

Speaking of masturbation, not sure if this is true, but apparently OJ's parole is in jeopardy because he was caught masturbating in jail.

Apparently it's better in jail for prisoners to take those urges out on each other rather than on themselves....(eyeroll).

Jack said...

I think Jesus's "if thine hand offends thee, cut it off" was probably about masturbation, though.

Jack said...

Thy, thine, whatever. I don't speak Jamesian English.

Jack said...

By the way, I murdered someone every day between 1992 and 2011. In May 2030 I will, God willing, have atoned for my previous 19 years of murder, which will leave me free to go on occasional killing sprees punctuated by repentance breaks.

Jeff Seiler said...

Jack, you miss the point, I think. Dave is explaining his concept of attonement. He is not implying that, after 2019, he will go back to fornicating. He has vowed and continues to vow, five times daily in his prayer to God, that he will never again cohabitate with any woman. (Or man, goes without saying.)

Jack said...

Yeah, but like Travis said, refraining from the sin you used to commit generally isn't considered atonement. Come on, Jeff, admit that the rules of his one-man religion are kind of weird.

Jack said...

Of course, in this case, I'm criticizing a harmless aspect of his religious beliefs, but other aspects lead him to say some pretty awful things. There's an example at: http://momentofcerebus.blogspot.com/2016/08/never-commit-suicide-always-make-them.html

Dave writes, "As a monotheist, I take it as a given that the Holocaust was engineered/allowed to occur by God so that the Jews could be restored to Israel after 2,000 years. 6 million had to give their lives in order to achieve that otherwise impossible task."

So God engineered/allowed the Holocaust because it would get Jews in Israel? The fuck? God is supposedly omnipotent! He created light by saying four words, but he had to slaughter 6 million people to encourage immigration? It wouldn't have worked with one less murdered Jew (or gypsy or handicapped person or communist)? For fuck's sake, the Zionists were doing a good job of settling then-Palestine before the Holocaust! And of course, this leaves aside the question of why a supreme being would give a shit about which ethnic group settles in which area of the planet anyway, particularly when most of the settlers are very secular.

In my opinion, that's probably the most offensive thing Dave has ever written, and it bothered me that no one here objected to it. I guess I should have said something myself, but I was trying to abstain from internet arguments at the time.

Jeff Seiler said...

Hmm.

First, there was the diaspora.

40 years.

Not unlike the time (40 days) that, in the desert, Jesus spent his time fighting off the Devil.

I think it is pretty clear that the Christian Bible (or, bible) is a lot of formulated text and dialogue that is meant to expand on the Torah, in order to convert people to either the Catholic or the Protestant faiths.

There are translations (and I think that Dave Sim tries to get as close to them as he can) that do try to stay as close to the original intent of the writings as possible.

But.

We're at least 500 years removed.

So, we can agree or agree to disagree, but it should always come down to: you to your god (God) and me to mine.

That, I think, is the best approach.

To zero in, I can't believe that God "allowed" the shoah to happen, but I do believe that God allowed for the settlement of Israel.

The returning.